Wedding canapés are miniature parcels of deliciousness and are a great way to enhance your drinks reception to kick start your wedding celebration. Guests may have travelled early in the morning, been busy helping you get ready or simply missed breakfast so it's important to feed them whilst enjoying a drink, in the setting of your wedding venue.
Here are our top 5 tips to consider when choosing your canapés
1. Consider the timing you have for your drinks reception prior to your wedding breakfast being served. At Milkshed we recommend 6 or 8 canapés for a typical 90 minute drinks reception - a mixture of hot and cold canapés works well. If you are having an extended reception time or a lighter wedding breakfast you can increase your number of canapés to 10 or even 12.
2. Be creative, if your wedding has a theme, then you might choose to include this into your choice of canapés - we recently did an all-Italian reception which went down a treat!
3. Show your personality. It is your special day after all, so ensure you choose canapés that reflect you and that you will enjoy. You can have delicious and elegant mini versions of your favourite food. Choices may be influenced by past holidays, special memories or family favourites. At Milkshed we have created over 40 canapés for you to choose from and we are also happy to discuss bespoke options.
4. Select your canapés once you have a confirmed wedding breakfast menu. You can then select different food types and styles to please all palates. As a guide we would recommend choosing 2 fish, 2 meat and 2 veggie/vegan options. We generally work to one of each option per person but know that there are some people who will want seconds (or thirds) so you could double up on favourites.
5. Consider any dietary requirements your guests may have and try to ensure a few canapés will cover these guests - this could include vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and vegetarian.
Lastly what would we recommend as wedding caterers...? Our favourites include honey and mustard glazed Devon sausages, smoked haddock fish cakes with pan-fried quail eggs, curried cones with fresh handpicked crab, ginger, lime and coriander, parmesan and truffle arancini and onion bhaji with minted coconut yogurt.
We are delighted to be collaborating with one of our favourite wedding venues this Winter in a pop-up restaurant (at their pop-up hotel). Check out the photos of the simply gorgeous Huntsham Court.
New desserts alert - we have been spending our time in lockdown designing new dishes for the 2021 menu. This coconut pannacotta with mango was DELICIOUS! It is also vegan and dairy-free!
We wanted to say a massive thank you again from the bottom of our hearts for you being able to cater at our wedding, not only did you cater for us but you were there whenever we needed you not only on the day but on the journey to the day as well!
You made us feel so calm and looked after, we really didn't have to worry about anything on the day, the way you set up the venue and handed drinks to people and the food, everyone said how amazing you were, not only by being professional but that you were all great fun too. You all made everyone feel so comfortable and at home, everything we ever wanted at our wedding and more!
The food was incredible, everyone was raving about how good it all was, so fresh and delicious, and also very unique! It was perfect, everything we wanted, still thinking about how amazing it was a year later!
I would highly recommend you to everyone, you were a major part in our wedding day and helped it run so smoothly, it was the best day ever.
We are very much missing our wedding catering - it feels strange to be without our team of fabulous staff and we feel lost when we aren't cooking and looking after everyone on the day of the wedding. We are looking forward to the days where lockdown is a thing of the past.
With the unprecedented situation we find ourselves in surrounding the COVID-19 coronavirus, we would like to reassure our clients that we are monitoring the developing situation daily.
We hope you and your loved ones remain safe and healthy.
Katie, Mark and the Milkshed team
Our usual cancellation policy still applies. No refund will be given but we are happy to provide an invoice for your insurance company if needed - please refer to our terms and conditions for further details, or get in touch.
We know that nobody wishes to change their wedding or event date and we understand that this is a stressful time for both clients and wedding suppliers alike. Whilst our standard terms do not allow dates to be transferred we will be considering postponements for COVID-19 affected bookings on a case by case basis. Please note this only applies to bookings between now and the end of June 2020.
Where a postponement is permitted we will do our very best to be as flexible as possible and are asking our clients for the same in return. None of us could have planned for this scenario and we all need to work together on this.
Where possible, we will be asking clients to re-book for later in 2020, or for mid-week in 2021, so that we are able to accommodate our 2021 business alongside any postponed events from this period.
We thank you in advance for your support and understanding. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with any questions.
What Our Clients Are Saying
'The food was absolutely incredible!!!! Everyone is raving about it, saying its the best wedding they've been to! We were able to sit back and relax and really enjoy the day, because you handled everything so brilliantly. The staff - excellent and service impeccable.'
'We can not thank you enough for all of your amazingly hard work on our big day. The food was all perfectly delicious and all the organisation and running around from yourselves and your team helped the day flow perfectly. There is no doubt we would recommend you to anyone in the future. Thank you again.
Our office hours are Tuesday to Saturday, 9.30am - 5.30pm